Chemical peels are exactly what they sound like. A chemical agent that is used to exfoliate or peel the outermost layers of the skin, allowing the healthy “new” skin to replace the old surface skin. Chemical peels can help hydrate the skin, fade hyperpigmentation, soften wrinkles and reduce acne. There are a large number of peels on the market as well as different peel depths. Here at Zap we offer everything from light enzyme peels to more aggressive VI Peels®, TCA, and Jessner peels. With all the different peels Zap has to offer we can do everything from hydrate your skin to change the overall appearance. As a general rule the deeper, more aggressive, the peel the more profound the results but that also means a longer recovery time.
Peels can be done as an individual treatment or in a step to an individual treatment plan. Chemical peels can be performed on the face, neck, hands, and back.
Benefits of Chemical Peels
Using chemicals the top layer of your skin is exfoliated, leaving a smoother, clearer complexion in place of wrinkles, acne, acne scars, freckles, age spots and melasma.Chemical peels can:
- Swap sun damage for smooth skin by removing the top layer of cells and helping to reduce the appearance of fine lines and sun spots, revealing more youthful skin hiding underneath.
- Get you in and out in a jiffy, as most chemical peels take less than 30 minutes each.
- Clear clogged pores and reduce acne with a mild peel such as alphahydroxy acid peels to clear up current and future pimples.
- Recover with little to no down time and quick results with alphahydroxy acid peels, such as glycolic lactic peels, which last about a month.
- Blot out blotchy patches by penetrating into your skin leaving behind a glowing, even skin tone.
- Reverse signs of aging like age spots and wrinkles by lightening your skin’s pigment and evening out your skin tone.
- Diminish acne scars with medium-strength TCA chemical peels, which burn away the surface of your skin in the same way a laser treatment might do.
- Lessen reddish skin with chemical peels that can lighten the color of your skin.
- Minimize deep wrinkles with a power phenol acid chemical peel, making you look more youthful and ready for your close-up.
- Save your skin in the future by stimulating collagen growth now, such as with mild glycolic peels, creating more taunt and supple skin.
- Areas of sun damage, which may contain pre-cancerous keratoses that appear as scaly spots, may improve after chemical peeling. Following treatment, new pre-cancerous lesions are less likely to appear. However, sags, bulges and more severe wrinkles do not respond as well to chemical peels. These problems are better treated with photo rejuvenation treatments.
Regardless of which type of chemical peel you indulge in on your, be sure to let your physician know if you’re using products containing Retin-A, as your skin will intensify the chemical peel’s age-reversing action. You may also want to consider rescheduling your organic chemical facial if you have a rash, extra-dry skin as these conditions will also amplify results. And finally, don’t bother bringing a hat to keep your chemical peel under wraps; the fabric will increase the treatment’s affects.
What to Expect After a Chemical Peel
Depending upon the type of chemical peel, a reaction similar to sunburn occurs following the procedure. Peeling usually involves redness, followed by scaling or light sloughing that ends within three to seven days. Mild peels may be repeated at two to four-week intervals until the desired clinical effect is achieved.
Medium-depth and deep peeling may result in slight swelling, as well as the presence of water blisters that may break, crust, turn brown and peel off over a period of seven to 14 days. Medium-depth peels may be repeated every six to twelve months, if necessary.
You will work with our licensed esthetician to determine the depth of peel that is right for you. This joint decision can vary, depending upon the condition of your skin and the objectives of treatment.
It is important to avoid over-exposure to the sun after a chemical peel since the new skin is fragile and more susceptible to complications.
Call to schedule your chemical peel with Zap Laser Center: 303-539-1385
Become an Insider.
Sign up to stay informed about new procedures and our latest offers!